The Mission of the Red Deer College Student-Athletes Advisory Council is to enhance the total student-athlete experience by providing social and academic opportunities for all student-athletes; ensuring student-athlete prosperity through effective communication between the athletic body and the administration; and fostering a positive student-athlete image within our community.
- Generate a student-athlete voice within RDC.
- Solicit student-athlete response to proposed ACAC and RDC policies.
- Organize community service initiatives.
- Create a vehicle for student-athlete representation campus-wide/conference-wide.
The membership of the Student-Athletes Advisory Council should be representative of the diversity of RDC’s population and involve representatives from each sport. Each member serves as a liaison between the committee and his or her individual team.
Sports represented are as follows: Kings Basketball, Kings Cross Country/Indoor Track, Kings Curling, Kings Golf, Kings Hockey, Kings Soccer, Kings Volleyball, Queens Basketball, Queens Cross Country/Indoor Track, Queens Curling, Queens Golf, Queens Hockey, Queens Soccer and Queens Volleyball.
The goals are outcome-oriented statements that provide direction and identify priorities the RDC Student-Athletes Advisory Council hopes to address in the immediate future. The achievement of each of goal aids the group in supporting its mission statement. Each goal is accompanied by a set of key objectives that will help move RDC Student-Athletes Advisory Council towards its desired future state.
To improve communication at the conference and institutional levels
- Enhance student-athlete communication and awareness of the mission of the Council.
- Find a way to create awareness and enthusiasm through the Council using appropriate measures for our institution.
- Establish methods for communication (i.e. list-serve, monthly minutes, job descriptions/responsibilities).
- Encourage greater involvement with national issues & legislation.
Promote an understanding of the role of the RDC student-athlete
- Encourage campus and conference Student-Athletes Advisory Councils to establish mentoring as a priority that provides academic support to student-athletes and future student-athletes.
- Strive to be actively involved in the community through the Team Community Challenge.
- Participate in the ACAC Student-Athletes Advisory Council Initiative, aim of 100% participation.
- Present Student-Athletes Advisory Council mission statement and summary of activities it promotes to all student-athletes.
Promote an atmosphere within SAAC that encourages and welcomes unity among all student-athletes
- Strive to ensure that each sport is represented and has an equal voice on the campus Student-Athletes Advisory Council.
- Actively engage the institutions coaching staff and athletic administrators in the workings of the campus Student-Athletes Advisory Council.
Encourage the promotion and enhancement of the overall conference championship experience for all RDC sports
- Support campus Student-Athletes Advisory Council involvement at RDC Conference Championship events.
- Market conference championships within community: activities, banquet, schedule.
- Utilize the Conference Student-Athletes Advisory Council to recognize individual and team accomplishments.
- Presides over meetings.
- Serves as the conference Student-Athletes Advisory Council liaison.
- Functions as spokesperson from RDC student-athletes to the entire RDC community.
- Ensures all committed activities be followed through.
- Oversees subcommittees that may be formed as a response to the needs of RDC student-athletes.
- Ensures RDC student-athlete community is aware and actively participating in all Student-Athletes Advisory Council projects.
2017-18 Student-Athletes Advisory Council Members